Sepsis: New Derbyshire-wide Pathway Launched for Primary Care
To celebrate World Sepsis day and reduce the numbers of cases in Derbyshire, Derbyshire’s health and social care system have launched a new Derbyshire-wide pathway for the identification, management and treatment of Sepsis in primary care. This implements NEWS2, POPS and the Sepsis trust screening tool into the community.
In Derbyshire during 2018/19 there were:
- 5,125 sepsis admissions
- 663 deaths (13%)
- 50,000 hospital bed days (approx.)
- 9 days - average length of stay
- £4,500 - average cost of per patient
Caught early, sepsis outcomes are excellent. Left unchecked, the patient is likely to spiral into multi-organ failure, septic shock and death. The new pathway can ensure the patient care handover from Primary to Secondary care is smoother and will provide vital information that previously could have been missed.
The Sepsis Working Group formed in August 2018 to develop a Derbyshire-wide consistent approach to the identification and management of Sepsis from the community and into the acute setting. They produced the Sepsis Primary Care Resource Pack; the membership comprising of partners and providers listed below:
- Primary Care
- Derby and Derbyshire Clinical Commissioning Group
- University Hospitals of Derby and Burton NHS Foundation Trust
- Chesterfield Royal Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Derbyshire Community Health Services NHS Foundation Trust
- Derbyshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
- Derbyshire Health United
- East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- Derbyshire County Council
EMAS will also be using NEWS2 and POPs, enabling callers to give NEWS2 scores and state Red Flag Sepsis to trigger a category 2 response of between 18 and 20 minutes. NEWS2, POPS and the screening tools are already available on the clinical systems now for Primary care.
The pack includes advice about:
- Recognising symptoms
- How to escalate concerns
- Educational tools
- The new primary care sepsis pathway
- Introducing National Early Warning Score (NEWS) 2
- Paediatric Observation Priority Score (POPS)
- Sepsis Trust Decision Support tool for children under 5 years
- EMAS Response process
- Safety netting guidance
- Post Sepsis Syndrome Support
- Videos on how to recognise Sepsis in patients with learning disabilities
To download the pack, click here.