Please read: Are you or could you be impacted by pension taxation?
Dear Colleagues (DCHS and DHCFT)
We have commissioned representatives from First Actuarial; the appointed independent actuarial advisors to the NHS Pension Scheme Advisory Board to come to Derbyshire over the next week for provide group information sessions (1.5 hours) and 1-1 support (45-60 minutes).
The group sessions will provide:
- General information on the NHS Pension Scheme including a focus on the cost for members, value of pension build-up and protection benefits.
- An introduction of how the tax system works for pensions, including tax relief on contributions and how benefits are taxed in retirement.
- An explanation of the Annual Allowance and how pension savings are measured against it.
- Illustrations of tapering of the Annual Allowance where earnings are above certain thresholds.
- How ‘carry forward’ works, and how it can be used to offset against the latest year of pension saving.
- A walk through of an example Pension Savings Statement.
- Options for paying an Annual Allowance tax charge, including Scheme Pays. This will include issues arising from the government’s policy to waive Annual Allowance tax charges for clinicians in the 2019/20 tax year via the Scheme Pays mechanism.
- An explanation of the Lifetime Allowance and how pension savings are measured against it, and protections available.
- Options for mitigation against Lifetime Allowance tax charges and options for paying them.
- An explanation of the Money Purchase Annual Allowance
- Q & A’s
1-1 session (to be booked after the group sessions) will:
- Listen to you to understand your position. Each case is different, and each session will be tailored appropriately.
- Work through your latest benefit statement from the NHS Pension Scheme so the currently level of pension saving is understood.
- If the Annual Allowance has been breached, then run through the statement received from the scheme administrator.
- Provide each individual with the knowledge and understanding required to leave the room informed on where you are at, with a clear explanation of your options.
We have two dates with a range of times available in both the North and South of the county:
24 January, Dunston Innovation Centre, Dunston Road Chesterfield S41 8NG - 9.30am, 11.30am, 2.00pm
27 January, Derby Conference Centre, London Road Derby DE24 8UX at 11.30am and 2.00pm, and an evening session from 6:00pm to 8:00pm at the Conference Room at R&D Centre Kingsway Hospital Derby DE22 3LZ
Please feel free to drop into a session that suits your schedule. If you have further queries please contact Amanda.firstname.lastname@example.org
First Actuarial will not provide advice on the action to take as they are not authorised to do so. They are totally independent and have no vested interest in the decisions you take as a result of the sessions – they won’t sell anything nor will they recommend any particular path or solution. They solely motivated by groups and individuals gaining a greater understanding of the NHS Pension Scheme and the tax issues around it, so you feel best placed to decide what’s best for you.
Director of People Services and Organisational Effectiveness
Derbyshire Community Health Services NHS Foundation Trust
Ashgreen Learning Disability Centre, Ashgate Road, Ashgate, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S42 7JE
Derbyshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
Ashbourne Centre, Kingsway Site, Kingsway, Derby DE22 3LZ
Telephone: 07887 554216