News and Notices

Derbyshire Carers get a new website

A new website specifically for family carers in Derbyshire has been launched, called

Featuring a searchable carers directory, carers rights and information about caring for someone with a specific illness or disability, the website also allows all carer related organisations to review and update their contributions much more easily.

How did the website start?

Paul Lobley, a local carer who originally kick-started the production of the website, said: “My children were born with special needs back in 1988 and 1990, so my wife and I both became carers then for the first time. Our daughter had Downs Syndrome and our son has Aspergers Syndrome. Sadly Heather, our daughter, died in 2009 from a series of grand mal epileptic seizures, but Chris, our son, has worked very hard to become independent and although he still lives with us, he is now working full  time.”

“More recently my wife’s mum was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia, so it’s all hands to the pump again. My wife and I tackle everything as a team and although she is currently the main carer for her mum, she needs and deserves all the support she can get from me. Most carers see themselves as husbands, wives, partners, family, friends or neighbours first and foremost, rather than a carer.”

Paul is the treasurer of the Derbyshire Carers Association (DCA). Over two years ago he realised that the DCA was spending a lot of money producing information literature and newsletters. These often duplicated similar information published by other organisations that support carers in Derbyshire.

Paul added: “Worst of all, the information soon became out of date, particularly with the Care Act 2014 coming into force. Wanting to improve matters, I wrote to the County Council, the City Council, the Clinical Commissioning Groups and other health based organisations suggesting that we could all do the job more effectively by sharing our efforts and resources. It all took off from there, and although we now have the superb website brought together by a partnership of family carers and voluntary and statutory organisations, we all recognise that there is still more to do in terms of communicating, particularly with carers who do not have access to the internet.”

If you care for someone, don’t have access to the internet and need advice from a social care professional, give Derbyshire County Council or Derby City Council a call in the first instance, depending on where you live.

  • Derbyshire County Council - 01629 533190
  • Derby City Council - 01332 640777